From: Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center [mailto: 4042N15@nationalhearing.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:15:58 -0600
Subject: Re: [CHAT] today....Judy---

Melody, as a nurse I am sure you know better about such things than I
do,<br>but I get pretty disgusted with people who don't cover their
mouths when<br>they cough. You are right - the germs go right to their
hands and then they<br>spread the germs by touching things. However, I
can behave defensively<br>against such actions, but I cannot control
what people spew into the air.<br>Plus, it's just plain disgusting. And
the elbow? yeah, try it. Looks like<br>you're sniffing your armpit to
Message ----- <br>From: "Melody " <mhobertm@excite.com><br>To:
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 1:12
reason I have such a problem with the proliferation of<br>>
antibacterial soaps and/or products with antibacterial agents
embedded<br>> in them...by constant use of these antibacterial products
we are<br>> actually weakening

our immune systems, throwing out the good bacteria<br>> that protect us
while not necessarily killing off the really bad<br>> bacteria that harm
us. Just plain old soap and water for handwashing<br>> along with
vigorous mechanical scrubbing when you wash is enough for<br>> most
folks with healthy immune systems. Also, we really, really need to<br>>
stop using our hands to cover our mouths and noses when we sneeze
or<br>> cough...coughing/sneezing into the crook of your elbow or
turning your<br>> head away from folks is much preferable...this way the
bacteria do not<br>> end up on your hands where they are then passed on
Browning < judybrowning@lewiston.com > wrote:<br>> From: Judy Browning
[mailto: judybrowning@lewiston.com]<br>> To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 19:12:39 -0000<br>> Subject: Re: [CHAT]

today....Judy---<br>><br>> Both actually. You can cause resistance in
your own population, then<br>> pass it<br>along to someone else through
casual contact. My hand to<br>> money, a doorknob,<br>or shopping cart
to your hand for instance. An<br>> elderly lady I knew claimed<br>she
and her husband never got colds.<br>> Their secret: Whenever returning
home,<br>they immediately washed their<br>> hands. Didn't take off their
coats or touch<br>anything inside until<br>> they washed their hands. If
they had been shopping,<br>they washed again<br>> after putting their
purchases away.<br>Our bodies are protected by skin<br>> that is very
resistant to bacteria. Mucus<br>membranes in the eyes mouth<br>> & other
orifices is not. Most infection enter<br>the body through a<br>> mucus
membrane. Puncture wounds are dangerous because<br>they carry<br>>
foreign material through the skin. Immune system tends
to<br>incapsulate<br>> stuff like that, making a warm dark moist area
for bacteria

you get diarrhea from an antibiotic,<br>> that's the<br>cause. The good
bugs are gone too. Taking a little<br>> buttermilk or yogurt a<br>couple
of hours after a dose can repopulate<br>> with a benefical
lactobacillus.<br>I doubt you were totally sterile<br>> inside. But
-----<br>From: "Donna" <gossiper@sbcglobal.net><br>To:<br>>
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 1:44
years ago when my<br>> system was whacked and I was always
nastiest stuff I ever<br>> tasted. I<br>> didn't

remove all bacteria and fungus from my system,<br>> unfortunately good
this is a soapbox invitation I can't<br>> resist. Get ready<br>> >
Resistant bacteria are getting more problematic<br>> each year. Part of
the<br>> > problem is the widespread use of<br>> antibiotics! Especially
with folks who<br>> > "save" a few pills from<br>> their prescription &
leaves a few of the most resistant germs, which<br>> ><br>> then are the
ones to multiply. When they next get a cold & take the<br>> last<br>> >
few, they expose more bacteria to the antibiotic without<br>> killing
bacteria we all host.<br>> > I won't get started on physicians