From: Theresa [mailto: tchessie@comcast.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 19:42:02 -0700
Subject: Re: [CHAT] today....Judy---

And- one advantage of using mostly organic products (including soaps and
Center wrote:<br><br>>Melody, as a nurse I am sure you know better about
such things than I do,<br>>but I get pretty disgusted with people who
don't cover their mouths when<br>>they cough. You are right - the germs
go right to their hands and then they<br>>spread the germs by touching
things. However, I can behave defensively<br>>against such actions, but
I cannot control what people spew into the air.<br>>Plus, it's just
plain disgusting. And the elbow? yeah, try it. Looks like<br>>you're
sniffing your armpit to see if your deodorant is working.
"Melody " <mhobertm@excite.com><br>>To: <gardenchat@hort.net><br>>Sent:
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 1:12 AM<br>>Subject: Re: [CHAT]

have such a problem with the proliferation of<br>>>antibacterial soaps
and/or products with antibacterial agents embedded<br>>>in them...by
constant use of these antibacterial products we are<br>>>actually
weakening our immune systems, throwing out the good bacteria<br>>>that
protect us while not necessarily killing off the really
bad<br>>>bacteria that harm us. Just plain old soap and water for
handwashing<br>>>along with vigorous mechanical scrubbing when you wash
is enough for<br>>>most folks with healthy immune systems. Also, we
really, really need to<br>>>stop using our hands to cover our mouths and
noses when we sneeze or<br>>>cough...coughing/sneezing into the crook of
your elbow or turning your<br>>>head away from folks is much
preferable...this way the bacteria do not<br>>>end up on your hands
where they are then passed on to everything and<br>>>everyone you

judybrowning@lewiston.com > wrote:<br>>>From: Judy Browning [mailto:
judybrowning@lewiston.com]<br>>>To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>>>Date: Sun,
12 Jun 2005 19:12:39 -0000<br>>>Subject: Re: [CHAT]
today....Judy---<br>>><br>>>Both actually. You can cause resistance in
your own population, then<br>>>pass it<br>along to someone else through
casual contact. My hand to<br>>>money, a doorknob,<br>or shopping cart
to your hand for instance. An<br>>>elderly lady I knew claimed<br>she
and her husband never got colds.<br>>>Their secret: Whenever returning
home,<br>they immediately washed their<br>>>hands. Didn't take off their
coats or touch<br>anything inside until<br>>>they washed their hands. If
they had been shopping,<br>they washed again<br>>>after putting their
purchases away.<br>Our bodies are protected by skin<br>>>that is very
resistant to bacteria.

Mucus<br>membranes in the eyes mouth<br>>>& other orifices is not. Most
infection enter<br>the body through a<br>>>mucus membrane. Puncture
wounds are dangerous because<br>they carry<br>>>foreign material through
the skin. Immune system tends to<br>incapsulate<br>>>stuff like that,
making a warm dark moist area for bacteria to<br>grow<br>>>ie
abcess.<br>Some of the more toxic antibiotics can kill all of
diarrhea from an antibiotic,<br>>>that's the<br>cause. The good bugs are
gone too. Taking a little<br>>>buttermilk or yogurt a<br>couple of hours
after a dose can repopulate<br>>>with a benefical lactobacillus.<br>I
doubt you were totally sterile<br>>>inside. But there was probably very
<gossiper@sbcglobal.net><br>To:<br>>><gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent:
Monday, June 13, 2005 1:44 AM<br>Subject:<br>>>RE: [CHAT]

know a few years ago when my<br>>>system was whacked and I was always
nastiest stuff I ever<br>> tasted. I<br>>>didn't believe it at the time,
fungus from my system,<br>>>unfortunately good and bad<br>> types. I did
get<br>>><br>>>better a week later, but still am not buying it did
invitation I can't<br>>>resist. Get ready<br>> > Resistant bacteria are
getting more problematic<br>>>each year. Part of the<br>> > problem is
the widespread use of<br>>>antibiotics! Especially with folks who<br>> >
"save" a few pills from<br>>>their prescription & self medicate the