From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of MyTGoldens@aol.com
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2005 11:57 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net; gardenchat-digest@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] What's with the snails?

Hello Everyone! Long time no see me! It's Maddy Mason here, from  Accord
NY.
I usually pop back up in the Summer, at the height of gardening  season,
then
disappear to the depths of the other parts of my life for another  year!

I hope this season finds all of you thriving along  with your gardens!
Now,
this may not apply to everyone, since we all live  in such vastly
different
climates and parts of the country, but here in the  Northeast, or at
least my
little corner of it, we are so overrun with snails  that walking around
sounds
like the crunching of snow, but it's the crunching of  little snails!

We've lived here 5 years, and always had plenty of slugs to  deal with.
A few
years ago we discovered the miracle of the new organic slug  killers
such as
Sluggo, that use harmless iron phosphate very effectively. Well,
harmless to
other wildlife, which is good! This stuff works fairly well on  slugs,
although frequent applications are still necessary for good control. But
where has
this explosion of snails come from? (I noticed a lot of them last  year,
but
this year is worse than ever.) The stuff doesn't work nearly as well  on
the
snails, although it helps some. And it's not just my yard, due to some
upheaval
of the natural balance of things. I have neighbors here, and  friends in
other
parts of NYS with the same problem.

My garden covers various sections of a good sized area of land  (close
to an
acre), so barrier methods are useless. No matter what I do, I  still
find
scads of the crunchy critters chewing up my irises, daylilies,
delphiniums,
Lupines, even hairy poppies, and anything else they can get their  slimy
teeth on.
(Slimy teeth?) Keeping the ground very clear of litter helps  some, but
not
all that much. And yes, I handpick, but, as with the Japanese  Beetles
scheduled
for imminent arrival, I could do that the entire day and never  get
ANYTHING
else done!

Anyone have a clue what might have caused this? We didn't even have  a
very
wet Spring this year either. I think next year I'll get out the Sluggo
much
earlier. Perhaps that might put a lid on it, before it gets so out of
control.
I dunno!

Happy digging to All!
Maddy Mason
zone 5/6
Hudson Valley, NY (No, do not even THINK of telling me to  eat them! )