RE: Corn gluten meal (was weekend update!)

Any experiences on using corn gluten meal in vegetable gardens? How long
after germination of seeds - for example, beans - would you apply the meal?

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of James R. Fisher
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 8:42 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] weekend update!

A A HODGES wrote:
> Donna, did you Preen so you don't get a bunch of weed seeds now that
> the offenders are out of there? I've started doing that religiously
> and it does help. I know it's not organic, but it helps keep me from
> pulling my hair out. Someday, I may win the battle with yellow
> nutsedge and crab grass. Grrrrr!
An organic alternative is corn gluten meal which will do in the crabgrass
and a variety of weeds. I use it to semi-control wild strawberries and
creeping charlie, which two are the bane of my present existence. The CGM is
sold under a variety of trade names. -jrf
Jim Fisher
Vienna, Virginia USA
38.9 N 77.2 W
USDA Zone 7