From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of James R. Fisher
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 12:35 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Corn gluten meal

Johnson Cyndi D Civ AFFTC/ITSR wrote:
> Any experiences on using corn gluten meal in vegetable gardens? How
> long after germination of seeds - for example, beans - would you apply
> the meal?
> Cyndi
No, but I plan to. Should be no trouble at all AFTER seed germination, only
before. It's a germination inhibitor, not a 'poison'. In fact, it will act
as a very low strength fertilizer if there's nothing around to inhibit.
Slight modification, after reading bag: should be ok to apply when sprouted
seeds have true leaves, as opposed to the initial cotyledons. Perhaps best
to test on a spare seed or two ? -jrf
Jim Fisher
Vienna, Virginia USA
38.9 N 77.2 W