Re: insect problem

well, Auralie, I had a curry plant for several years and didn't have
that problem, but I can't keep H. petiolatum (sp?) because it's
plagued by some durn leaf minor who does about the same thing to it -
sort of wraps the leaves in webbing while eating them from the inside
out; you end up with a blackish mess which rather reduces the
decorative value of the plant.  Once knew what the insect's name was,
but do not now recall.

I expect your re-occurring problem is because whoever the insect is
laid a bunch of eggs that are hatching at different intervals and
what you're seeing are the larva as they get big enough to see.
Sounds like you're beginning to take care of it if the numbers are
reducing...just keep cutting them off and disposing of them.

You might try BT on it or Safer's - those are very benign.  Probably
Safers has a better chance of hitting those guys at a smaller stage
as BT doesn't affect larvae who are not real caterpillars.

Even with no extra fertilizer, curry plant should leaf out again; not
a heavy feeder - it doesn't mind getting little haircuts regularly.
I'd put it back in sun, tho' - as I recall it wants sun.  Mine lived
in a pot for several years until it got too woody - kept it inside
during winter as it's not hardy.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade, Suite101.com
Shadyside Garden Designs

----------
> From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
>
> From the Teatown Nature Center's plant sale this spring my DH
brought me a
> nice little plant that had caught his eye - the tag said "Curry
Plant" and in
> fine
> print Helichrysum angustifolium.  I potted it up in a nice blue pot
and it
> began
> to grow rapidly into  pretty accent in my container garden.  Then
about a week
> ago I noticed that the tips seemed to be wilted.  On looking closer
I found