close call

It's too hot to do much, but I did some deadheading just now.  Deadheading
performs one extra benefit.  It gives you a chance to look more closely at
things.  In two cases today it was a good thing I did.  The dime-a-dozen
Bloody Cranesbill had engulfed the Double Tangerine Poppy.  This is a
fantastic little poppy that blooms it's head off most of the season,  The
brilliant flowers are supported way above the leaves on wiry stems.  But the
leaves were completely covered up by the geranium, so I ripped out a chunk
to give the poppy some breathing room.  Just a few feet away was my Anemone
'Bodnant Burgundy', a shortish, fall blooming variety.   It didn't move at
all the first few years, but now it's starting to spread abit, which I'm
thrilled about.  However, on closer inspection it was coming up through
Thymus 'Doretta Klaber' which had just begun to bloom.  This is the
teeniest, tinyest thyme I've ever seen and I don't want to lose it.  So, out
came the anemone.  Fortunately the stems hadn't mixed so no damage to the
thyme and I got plenty of anemone root so I could pot them up.

Kitty
neIN, Z5