From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of A A HODGES
Sent: Monday, June 27, 2005 8:43 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] hum...now sad...

I found this when I was looking at websites for Damascena's headstone. I
had it framed and gave it to my Vet as a thank you gift. These words are
the truest I've ever read of any beloved pet. A

Where to Bury a Dog
This piece by Ben Hur Lampman originally appeared
in The Oregonian in 1926.

A subscriber of the Ontario (Oregon) Argus has written to the editor of
that fine weekly, propounding a certain question, which, so far as we
know, remains unanswered: "Where shall I bury my dog?" It is asked in
advance of death. The Oregonian trusts the Argus will not be offended if
this newspaper undertakes an answer, for surely such a question merits a
reply. It distresses (the writer) to think of his favorite as dishonored
in death, mere carrion to the winter rains. Within that sloping, canine
skull, he must reflect when the dog is dead, were thoughts that
dignified the dog and honored the master. The hand of the master and of
the friend stroked often in affection this rough, pathetic husk that was
a dog.

We would say to the Ontario man that there are various places in which a
dog may be buried. We are thinking now of a setter, whose coat was flame
in the sunshine, and who, so far as we are aware, never entertained a
mean or an unworthy thought. This setter is buried beneath a cherry
tree, under four feet of garden loam, and at its proper season the
cherry strews petals on the green lawn of his grave. Beneath a cherry
tree, or an apple, or any flowering shrub is an excellent place to bury
a good dog. Beneath such trees, such shrubs, he slept in the drowsy
summer, or gnawed at a flavorous bone, or lifted his head to challenge
some intruder. These are good places in life or in death. Yet it is a
small matter, and it touches sentiment more than anything else. For if
the dog be well remembered, if sometimes he leaps through your dreams
actual as in life, eyes kindling, questing, asking, laughing, begging,
it matters not at all where that dog sleeps at long and at last. On a
hill where the wind is unrebuked, and the trees are roaring, or beside a
stream he knew in puppyhood, or somewhere in the flatness of a pasture
lane where most exhilarating cattle graze, it is all one to the dog, and
all one to you, and nothing is gained, nothing is lost, if memory lives.
But there is one best place to bury a dog. One place that is best of
all.

If you bury him in this spot, the secret of which you must already have,
he will come to you when you call -- come to you over the grim, dim
frontiers of death and down the well remembered path and to your side
again. And though you call a dozen living dogs to heel they shall not
growl at him, or resent his coming, for he is yours and belongs there.
People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his
footfall, who hear no whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people
who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know
something that is hidden from them, and which is well worth the knowing.
The one best place to bury a good dog is the heart of his master.

Andrea H
Beaufort, SC

Cats
> > of
> > Thistle Hill".
> >
> > "I have cried, too; I have felt a brick placed on my heart and
threaten
> > strangle me.  But now, I realize, in a quiet and I guess resigned
way,
> > that
> > every pet we ever hold is a tragedy waiting to happen to us.  It is
> > inevitable.  Besides, from long experience I know that the fact that
pet
> > dies is far less important than that it lived.  I can look back on
some
> > lifetime favorites like Rufus and Daisy, on Yankee the Bloodhound
and
> > Grigitte the Toy Poodle, and I smile inside, not cry.  I remember
the
> > wonderful things they used to do, not when they stopped doing
them.....I
> > guess the only question we have to ask is, did we do as well by him
as
we
> > could have?  I hope the answer is yes.  I think it is."
> >
> > Kitty

On
> >> Behalf Of Cathy Carpenter
> >> Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2005 10:19 PM
> >> To: gardenchat@hort.net
> >> Subject: Re: [CHAT] hum...now sad...
> >>

> >> Hard to get motivated to do anything. One of my cats, Jason, died
> >> today. Thursday about 5AM, he woke us with terrific yowling from
> >> under our bed. Finally got him out from there and he was writhing
on
> >> the floor alternately yowling and panting. Got him to the vets
> >> (thought, being a male that it might be a urinary tract thing, but
> >> the UA was essentially negative) and while there, we noticed that
his
> >> head was turning to the side and his eyes were moving involuntarily
> >> back and fourth. The vet said he thought either toxin exposure or a
> >> neurological problem and kept him for IV fluids, antibiotics,
> >> corticosteroids, and tests. Liver studies were negative, but over
the
> >> next two days he continued to exhibit neurologic symptoms which I
> >> would describe as "seizure-like". This afternoon, he was dead. Vet
> >> says that the most likely cause was either a tumor or some other
> >> central nervous system lesion.
> >> I have been crying on and off ever since. DH is dealing with it in
> >> his own way, getting involve in "projects". Unfortunately, he is
not
> >> up to giving me support. I feel so silly, as I have never reacted
> >> like this to a pet's death before. I guess it is because as an
empty
> >> nester, Jason became a surrogate child. He was our only indoor-
> >> outdoor cat, and I have never known a cat to act so much like a
dog.
> >> He wanted us to be out with him and whenever I would garden, Jason
> >> would come and lie down right where I was working! He would come
when
> >> called, purring with tail held high and follow us around the yard.
He