Re: birdfood

That's awful! I'm sure the birds don't need anymore chemicals in their diet!

Speaking of birds- sometime recently (before all hell broke loose in my house)I was out front mowing the yard and saw lots of little fluffy grey feathers, then lots of blue scrubjay feathers. Clearly someone got eaten- probably by the hawk that's been hanging around my house. Well- later that day I had 5 immature scrub jays hopping around my backyard with NO adult with them. I can only assume that the parent likely died trying to protect her young. So the young ones are about full size, but they don't have their mature coloring, and they are so clueless. They don't know how to eat out of the bird feeders, and they aren't wary of people. I put sunflower chips out on the ledge near the birdbath for them to eat- so hopefully they can finish growing. I had forgeten about them over the past few days- but this evening when I got home, all 5 were still around- and 2 of them have even figured out that there is food in the platform feeder! So, hopefully they'll continue to survive with my feeding help.

Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center wrote:

I heard quite a bit of chatter outside my window the other day, so I had to
check.  Mom and Dad Cardinal were showing the youngster the ropes.  They
were checking out the birdbath which I keep filled with fresh water.  It
made me think I should check the bird feeder.  (I don't worry about that
much in summer, but still..)  This feeder holds a lot of seed so I don't
fill it often.  It was EMPTY!

So, just now I picked up a 10# bag of Oil of Sunflower, everybody's
favorite.  But while looking for it at WalMart I found "Trail Mix" birdfood
and other mixes.  They sounded yummy even from my perspective...and then I
saw it...the last ingredient was artificial berry flavoring, artificial
cherry flavoring.  Since when do birds require artificial flavorings?
What's wrong with the ingredients in these blends that the birds need the
flavor enhanced?