Re: Heronswood

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Heronswood
  • From: "Kitty" kmrsy@comcast.net
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 06:24:09 -0400

Now being honest, where did you buy plants at this
season? The high priced smaller nurseries or .....
Donna, you are preaching to the choir. ;+)
I don't mean to come across as a plant snob, but we on this list are different from the general population of garden decorators; most of us are true gardeners. We look for special items; we don't just accept what Home Depot and Wal-Mart dictate our gardens should grow.

I recently drove an 80mile round trip to a little nursery run by a teenager and his mother to get a plant you can't find here in town. I have always ordered the bulk of my plants and the ones for the display gardens via mailorder, including Heronswood. But I'm also a smart shopper and while getting mulch at Lowe's I was surprised to find a really nice Songbird Hydrangea for a song, so I snatched it up. I also came home with 5 really nice plants from our MG plant sale and have my eye on a couple more in our next 2 sales.

Education is the key. To the garden decorators, the homeowners who don't know much more than that they want a pretty bush or a perennial that "blooms all summer" (hah!) they have been trained to go to the big box stores. They aren't even aware of the out of the way greenhouses or that mailordering plants exists beyond Michigan Bulb. That's one of the things we do as MGs, we educate. We suggest better sources.

Kitty
Kitty
neIN, Zone 5