Re: Heronswood

Somehow I don't think my point exactly came across
right :)

I guess what I was trying to say is - well lets put it
this way. (I am not picking on either of you- just
responding to what you said)

Kitty- you drove 80 miles for a plant- what else did
you buy there? It was nice to have a local (or not so
local) place to go, but without the bread and butter
of other purchases, can that person stay in business?

Chris- your 5 flats of annuals are normally purchased
at a big box store.. around here anyways, the smaller
places that have the unusual perennial plants also
have annuals that are a tad better (different
varieties/colors of the standard ones) but cost more.
By supporting their other plants, it helps them get
thru the year and on to the next.

I do agree that a nursery has to have something
special to survive.... but those of us who buy that
type of thing have to support the other stuff there as
well if we want them to continue- which could be
anything else they sell- from mulch to garden
decorations to.....

Although I am not familiar with Heronswood's local
operation, I am wondering if the 'locals' supported it
enough. Did they just drop in to view the gardens or
actually put their money there too... since the profit
end was mailorder- which can be done from anywhere-
the bottom line profits caused the nursery end to
close.

Donna