Re: Heronswood

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Heronswood
  • From: Cathy Carpenter cathy.c@insightbb.com
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 20:02:49 -0500

 From the first time I heard it, I knew that would happen. I wonder
if  the operation was actually losing money for Burpee, or just not
making it hand over fist... Yes, many of the plants were those that
do well in the Northwest, but most of the gardeners they attract
would, I think, know how to judge whether a plant would do well for
them or not. I tried to order from them this spring, and am convinced
that the reason I received a refund instead of plants was that they
did not want to deal with a "small" order. I feel particularly sorry
for the employees, whom, I got the impression, looked on their
employment as more than "a job", only to be let down. At least Mr.
Hinkley shouldered some of the responsibility.

Cathy, west central IL, z5b