From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of james singer
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 1:27 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Rain

Hi, Bonnie. Well, for starters, here's what the lychee tree looks like:
http://snipurl.com/r80z [that picture is of only a small section of the
tree; the whole thing looks like that] Fruit needs to be a bit darker
red to pick; probably next week. I may try canning some of them.

Avocado has 100 or more fruits this year. This variety keeps on the
tree for a limited period--and has practically no shelf life once
picked; this is our biggest worry at the moment because they should
start to ripen in mid June.

"Tommy Atkins" mango has, maybe, 50-60 fruits. These are those very
colorful mangos one sees in the supermarket--bright red, yellow, and
green all at once. Quality is only so-so [slight resinous taste if not
fully ripe, flesh tends to be fibrous]. These are great for pies and
cobblers and for making Indian pickles, but they are not worth much in
the ex-supermarket market. So we will probably ripen fully them in the
garage then can and/or pickle them.
Our "Carrie" and "Alanpur Banishan" mangos, both premium varieties, are
very young and will have maybe a dozen fruits altogether--no problem
disposing of those!

The black sapote--a subtropical relative of the persimmon--must have
had 1,000 blooms this year; absolutely a mass of flowers that were
swarmed daily by bumble bees. The ground under the tree is now black
with dead flowers. I don't know what the pollination rate has been, but
if it;s as high as 1 percent, we could have a problem.

But what Squints and I spent some time examining was the two sugar
apples and the atemoya [a cross between a sugar apple and a cherimoya].
These may be the most delicious fruits that will grow in the Lower 48.
Many of the flowers on the three trees have yet to open, but of those
that have opened, many have set. It's still early, so how many make it
to maturity is questionable.

On Jun 1, 2006, at 2:22 PM, Bonnie & Bill Morgan wrote:

> Is that a bad thing, Jim?  A farmer's market may give you some exotic
> plant
> money for something special.  What all is shaping up in your fruit
> trees?

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W