Re: Rain NOW Lychee

My favorite tea in the whole word is black tea with lychee. I used to be able to get it from the supermarket in Florida, but now I order it from Alberta, Canada. Go figure.
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 3:26 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Rain

Hi, Bonnie. Well, for starters, here's what the lychee tree looks like: http://snipurl.com/r80z [that picture is of only a small section of the tree; the whole thing looks like that] Fruit needs to be a bit darker red to pick; probably next week. I may try canning some of them.

Avocado has 100 or more fruits this year. This variety keeps on the tree for a limited period--and has practically no shelf life once picked; this is our biggest worry at the moment because they should start to ripen in mid June.

"Tommy Atkins" mango has, maybe, 50-60 fruits. These are those very colorful mangos one sees in the supermarket--bright red, yellow, and green all at once. Quality is only so-so [slight resinous taste if not fully ripe, flesh tends to be fibrous]. These are great for pies and cobblers and for making Indian pickles, but they are not worth much in the ex-supermarket market. So we will probably ripen fully them in the garage then can and/or pickle them.
Our "Carrie" and "Alanpur Banishan" mangos, both premium varieties, are very young and will have maybe a dozen fruits altogether--no problem disposing of those!

The black sapote--a subtropical relative of the persimmon--must have had 1,000 blooms this year; absolutely a mass of flowers that were swarmed daily by bumble bees. The ground under the tree is now black with dead flowers. I don't know what the pollination rate has been, but if it;s as high as 1 percent, we could have a problem.

But what Squints and I spent some time examining was the two sugar apples and the atemoya [a cross between a sugar apple and a cherimoya]. These may be the most delicious fruits that will grow in the Lower 48. Many of the flowers on the three trees have yet to open, but of those that have opened, many have set. It's still early, so how many make it to maturity is questionable.