Re: gas plant

Thanks Donna, I'll look into further. It's a really neat plant and we've had frequent requests for it.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 9:11 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] gas plant

I have one that is blooming now.  I bought it as a
small plant 2 years ago. It did bloom last year too.

The only thing I don't like is somehow one or more of
the stalks always seems to break just as it is
flowering... sigh.

Of course, your nursery would be in a more protected
area (maybe). Haven't tried to move it, so no clue
about the tap root.

Sorry, can't be of more help. I do have a nice picture
of it in my camera at the moment... so if you need it
for your plant cards LMK

Donna

--- Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net> wrote:

Anyone growing Gas Plant, Dictamnus albus?  I had a
credit at Bluebird and
didn't really need anything so I decided this was a
chance to give this
plant a try in our nursery.  I have a purple one
myself and it is just
lovely.

These plants are small (32 two-inch pots) and
started from seed, but have
reasonably good root systems started.  It is my
understanding that Dictamnus
develops a tap root and should therefore be grown on
in a pot because they
resent transplanting as the tap root can be damaged.
 I also seem to recall
that they take several years before they flower.  I
am wondering if I should
carry them over into 2008 for sale.

Any comments?

Kitty