Re: gas plant

> Anyone growing Gas Plant, Dictamnus albus?  I had a credit at Bluebird and
> didn't really need anything so I decided this was a chance to give this
> plant a try in our nursery.  I have a purple one myself and it is just
> lovely.

I've been growing it for a few years now -- it's one of my favorites for

> These plants are small (32 two-inch pots) and started from seed, but have
> reasonably good root systems started.  It is my understanding that
> Dictamnus develops a tap root and should therefore be grown on in a pot
> because they resent transplanting as the tap root can be damaged.  I also
> seem to recall that they take several years before they flower.  I am
> wondering if I should carry them over into 2008 for sale.

They definitely have tap roots; once they go in the ground, that will become
their permanent home.

I'm not sure about age before flowering, but I doubt they'll be large
enough before 2008.  My plant has taken many years to get as large as it

I'm glad your gas plants from Bluebird did well.  I ordered 16 and they
were *tiny*.  Only six have come up (they were dormant at the time),
the largest of which is about an inch high.  Hardly any roots to speak
of either.  :(

Bluebird seems to be either really good or really bad with plants.  I
wish I knew how to figure out the pattern.