From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Christopher P. Lindsey
Sent: Friday, June 02, 2006 11:09 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] gas plant>WSL orders

> Bluebird was sort of a mixed bag on quality but customer service is
> excellent.  They immediately credited the puny Capsicum that they
> admit should not have been sent.  And when I asked about the white gas
> plant that should have been purple, they offered to send the purple too,
though I said
> not to.   Their Salvia 'Evolution' was not very good, but the Plumbago was

> excellent.  They individually wrapped each scented geranium, whch all
> arrived in good shape. All 48 Red Hot Pokers were fabulous, not a runt
> in the litter.  The main reason I ordered from them at all was to
> obtain Andropogon 'Silver Sunrise', a new GreatPlants release.  They
> looked really nice.  But the Ppl Ftn Grass I ordered to fill out the flat
was pretty sad.

Your experiences sound just like mine.  :)  I suppose I should just call and
ask them next time.  The Calylophus serrulatus 'Prairie Lode' that I got
look like they're finally taking off -- when I repotted them I found that
the roots still hadn't spread out of the original plug; it looked like
they'd just potted them the day before!

I received my Thalictrum delavayi 'Hewitt's Double' today and they were
gorgeous.  About two feet tall in six-inch pots and full of buds, ready to
bloom.  Of course, at that price they'd better be good.

> My second order from Walters was shipped bone dry.  Do they do that to
> retard growth?

I've heard a lot of people with that complaint; apparently it's being done
to cut down on shipping.  :(

Chris