From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2006 10:07 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] coming up for air

Well, we've survived just about the most intensive spring I can remember.
This weekend my club put on a flower show which has come off very well.  My
club is very small - only 12 active members - but we regularly put on
award-winning shows every year.  This year the manager of Lasdon Parks &
Arboretum, where we usually meet, asked us to put on our show this weekend
because he wanted to be able to say the place was already booked if someone
wanted to rent it for a wedding, which he detests.  It was not a good time
for a show, but we felt we should oblige, since we don't have to pay for the
space, and good places are hard to come by.  Anyway, one of our members who
lost her husband in January took on the project - I was so glad for her to
have this as a distraction, though it was not the show I would have chosen
to put on.  It has turned out very well, and the evaluators have told us to
prepare a book of evidence for another state and possibly national award.
We produced 106 horticulture entries, including a special section on hostas
with 34 entries.  Pretty fine.
I only achieved 9 blue ribbons and a couple of Awards of Merit, and only a
second award on my design, but the important thing is that it is a really
good show.

But this follows closely on my last weekend which we spent in Manhattan with
youngest son from Colorado, his two children aged  10 months and 3 1/2
years, wife, and other mother-in-law.
Imagine all this in a city hotel.  We stayed at the Princeton Club which is
a bit more relaxed than most hotels, but still not the ideal venue.  We saw
two Broadway shows, Wicked, and Spelling Bee.
The parents took turns babysitting, since they wanted the m-i-l to
'experience' the city.  She had never been here before.  In fact, my d-i-l
has only been here a couple of times, so isn't really familiar with the
city. Among other things we took in the Staten Island Ferry, a horse-
carriage ride in Central Park, the Metropolitan Museum, church on Sunday at
St. Thomas Episcopal on Fifth Avenue where the music is sensational, and the
kids visited the Intrepid (aircraft carrier museum) while we were at church.
Things worked out well, but I am exhausted.

In addition to that, I have an indexing job with a short deadline.  I will
make it work, but my garden is really suffering.  The month of May was
mostly cool and overcast, but ended with a couple of really hot days.  Now
we have rain - at last - and it's cool again.  Oh well.  I hope next week I
will be able to catch up on the garden before I have to go to Ithaca for a
State Garden Club meeting.
Auralie