Re: coming up for air

One every year? Oh, my. My smallish club does one every other year and has a tough time getting it together. It doesn't help that we have a different venue every year, so staging and all has to be re-thought.

I enjoy bringing odd things for Horticulture and seeing the puzzled looks. I usually get several blues. It's a reward for my duty at the entry table, where so many people bring in unidentified specimens. ;-

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, June 04, 2006 6:46 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] coming up for air

In a message dated 06/04/2006 9:14:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
zsanders@midsouth.rr.com writes:
Auralie, I admire you so with all your experience. Our garden club is
'getting closer' to putting on a show. I don't know how National has put up
with us for never doing it. I am so ignorant where shows are concerned, and
I know more about plants than most of the members, who would rather eat than
garden.
zem

Zem, sometimes I think I am nuts to love flower shows like I do.
The beauty of my little club is that all of us are hooked on shows.
We have had at least one every year since 1992, and not once
has anyone not been eager. Of course the fact that eight of our
twelve members are judges has something to do with it - we're
all nuts.
I hope your club does go ahead with a show - it can be such a
great bonding experience, and also a learning experience. I
still always learn something from another exhibitor. We are all
quite competitive, but equally happy when another member
does well. We were all so happy when the member whose
husband died in January won the Table Artistry Award, the
Petite Award, and still another blue ribbon on her designs. She
is going into the hospital tomorrow for hip surgery. I think we
were all happier for her to win those awards than if we had
won them ourselves.
If I could be of any help with your club's planning, I would be
glad to. I am Schedule Advisor for our District and have
helped numerous clubs write their schedules, including
award-winning ones.
Auralie