RE: Kitten

I imagine it will take a bit more coaxing now to be able to get closer.  I
would take the approach others suggested with the slowly closing and opening
of your eyes when you gaze at him and continue the feeding and sitting
quietly.  You may want to think of a different game to play so he doesn't
associate finger/paw play with danger.  My grandboy tells me all his cats
LOVE playing with string (which is really a ball of yarn) especially if
there is a feather tied to the end of it.  I wonder if you could put some
toy you get him used to playing with in one of the cages?  It will take
time, but with patience and your gentle ways (and of course, the food DOES
help) you will get another chance.  Any way to get someone to help you the
next time you try so there is another set of hands to help you shut the
door?

Even after a nasty incident, you can still earn trust.  Mother's little
dog, Sassy,  (which I suppose is really ours now that she is in the nursing
home) is the most vicious 8lbs. I've ever seen would have nothing to do with
me unless it was for food and even then, I'd have to count my fingers after
offering a treat.  Being an older dog and since she doesn't know how to
play, it has been a difficult task.  I ended up having to get a muzzle for
her to be able to care for her after mother left.  I spent two days with
that muzzle on her (except when she ate and when she slept or was alone)
with her literally by my side while I picked her up, petted her, rolled her
on her back, played with her toes, etc. ( I don't think you can do this with
a kitten--not enough nose for a muzzle....)  The point is that she learned
that no matter what I did with her, I did not hurt her.  I may have raised
my voice in disapproval when she growled or soiled the floor, but with me,
she was never hurt.

Earlier this week, I put her out on a tether because it was such a beautiful
and temperate day.  I went back in the house and got Miss Susan for her
constitutional and was walking her when I got hit behind the knees.  It was
Sassy!  The metal ring on her harness had given up.  She could have run
away, but she ran TO me!  That speaks volumes.

Blessings,
Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)