To: "Garden Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 4:06 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Lychees

The race is on! The lychees are ripe! It's us v the squirrels and the birds suddenly. Ate about two dozen of them today and oiled up the fruit picker so I can make a major dent in the harvest tomorrow. Also, we need to decide what to do with the surplus--dry, freeze, can. I sent an e-mail to UGa, the food preservation gurus, for guidance but haven't heard back. I'd like to set some aside to can with the pineapples later in the season. On the other hand, I may just eat them all--sure are good.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10