Re: Bee Saga

Thanks, Judy. I'm going to do that tomorrow morning.

On Jun 10, 2006, at 1:09 PM, Judy Browning wrote:

Jim, if the bee rescue people didn't do so, I'd suggest you spray the trunk with something to kill the queen bee pheromones. Otherwise it's like the old hobo signs on the fence welcoming the next swarm. DH (beekeeper) thinks bleach & water would work. I think maybe some odor neutralizer.
Too bad the local beekeepers didn't want them. However, if that queen had african bee genes, the next generation could be very agressive, from what I've read.
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2006 8:17 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Bee Saga

They were in for the long haul, Donna. When Bee Rescue vacuumed them up, it uncovered the beginnings of honey combs.

On Jun 9, 2006, at 11:11 AM, Donna wrote:

When did they arrive again Jim? they normally leave
24-48 hours after they arrive...well around here
anyways from what I remember. Don't have that
happening currently, but my last house they arrived
yearly.

Donna

So it turns out that beekeepers here don't take wild
swarms any more
because the Africanized killers are  here. I've
tried to tell them that
this swarm is not hostile--I've been within 2 feet
of it a couple of
times--but it cuts no ice. So I called "bee rescue"
this morning and
they will be out this afternoon; $150.00!

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10