Re: Bee Saga

Our county agent said virtually all bees in south Florida have some African in their DNA. The Bee Rescue guy said these looked like regular European honey bees and that he would set them up in an orange grove.

On Jun 10, 2006, at 2:20 PM, Bonnie Holmes wrote:

Wonder if there was a way to have taken a sample to see if the hive had
African mix? Or was African?

[Original Message]
From: Judy Browning <judylee@lewiston.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Date: 6/10/2006 1:09:53 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Bee Saga

Jim, if the bee rescue people didn't do so, I'd suggest you spray the
trunk
with something to kill the queen bee pheromones. Otherwise it's like the
old
hobo signs on the fence welcoming the next swarm. DH (beekeeper) thinks
bleach & water would work. I think maybe some odor neutralizer.
Too bad the local beekeepers didn't want them. However, if that queen had
african bee genes, the next generation could be very agressive, from what
I've read.