Re: weather--electrical problems

Sorry to hear about your electrical problems. We spent a couple of summers trying to track down an elusive short - it only stunk when the sun hit the east side of the house and then only for a couple of hours.

What's a buss?

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2006 4:36 PM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] weather--electrical problems

Daryl, wish that I could share our bounty of rain with you and Pam!
(Thanks, Donna, for sending that this way, BTW.) Oh, well. I need to clear
a spot out of the garage attic anyway. After that storm Thursday before
last, the lights in the kitchen/dining room area and the one outlet that
powers the microwave quit working. DH checked all the outlets and replaced
all the switches, but could not find anything causing the "open" condition
in a neutral wire keeping everything from working. The electrician was here
yesterday...pretty much all day. At first he tried to say Bill had messed
with the wiring, but after three hours of doing what Bill had already done
and not finding the problem, he backed off his earlier presumption.
Apparently, the builders covered some junction boxes. We found one
(unfortunately, not the problem junction box) under some cabinets attached
to the ceiling. At 3:00pm he gave up and started trying to figure a way to
re-wire around the offending "open" in the hiding junction box.
Unfortunately, that means bringing line up through the wall between the
house and garage to get me working lights in the garage! He also discovered
(while on the hunt) 3 open junction boxes in the attic buried in paper
insulation. I thought he was going to fall off his ladder! He also
discovered our buss is nearly gone as well. You don't need me to tell you
that this means no additional purchases for the garden or anything else this
year. UGH! Still, if it will prevent a fire and allow us to have light....