Re: companions

> Chris, I've been potting up Japanese honewort (Cryptotaenia japonica
> forma atropurpurea) this afternoon. It does have great chocolate-hued
> foliage and makes a nice accent to many plants.  What do you do when it
> blooms? I've cut the plant back hard as it is difficult to remove all the
> spent bloom. I have hundreds of plants where it has seeded in. Eventually,
> I'll just compost it when I get tired of filling quart pots!

Although I've had seedlings, they haven't been problematic for me except
in well-drained, sunny spots.  I usually plant it in shaded, somewhat
moist locations which seems to cut down on the number of volunteers.

When I've remembered and/or noticed that the flowers are forming I
hacked the flowering stalks back to the base>

> I have bought some interesting plants at Roslyn Nursery recently.  They are
> unfortunately closing due to the owner's health. They had a 50% off sale. I
> got some nice viburnums, V. 'Red Feather'(Arrowwood with blue berries), V.
> 'Michael Dodge' (yellow berries), and V. 'Park Harvest' (European Cranberry
> with yellow foliage). I bought a bunch of shrubs that I'd never heard of
> such as Adina rubella, Ceanothus pallidus 'Marie Simon' and Indigofera
> amblyantha.

Nice!  They seem to have a great selection; I only wish the 50% off applied
to online sales as well.  :)

Do you have any other Viburnum dilatatum cultivars around?  If not, you
may want to get some since fruit set on that species (most Viburnums in
general, actually) is limited without a cross-pollinator.

http://www.bonvivantnursery.com/                     Bon Vivant Nursery
http://www.hort.net/sHORTurl/                        Shorten your URLs!
http://www.hort.net/gallery/      3961 online plant photos and growing!