From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 8:32 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] American chestnut

Yesterday my Garden Club was given a tour of the experimental grove of
American chestnuts here at Lasdon Park & Arboretum, and a most informational
talk by Craig Hibben, the director of the grove, about the work being done
to develop a disease-resistant strain.
That was fascinating, including both the scientific and the political
elements in the effort. But what I found even more interesting was the wide
range of coping devices the tree has to insure its survival.  I already knew
that the fungus does not seem to attack the roots, and that fallen trees
will continue to send up suckers from the roots.  These suckers will grow
into saplings and often produce nuts before they succumb to the disease and
the procedure starts all over again.  What I did not know is that when a
tree is attacked, even though it is very young, it produces an unusually
large number of flowers and fruit. The American chestnut is one "tough nut."
It looks as if there is really hopes for its eventual return.
Auralie