Re: Mustard seed?

Geez Auralie, I thought that would be an easy one. Just google parable mustard seed botanical name. Lots of religious discussions trying to disclaim scientific discussions about the size of the seed, but none bothered to name it. RHS lists 27 genera that use the name mustard. I'm guessing it's a Brassica, though I admit I'm apallingly unknowledgable when it comes to food plants. Perhaps B. nigra, B. hirta, or B.alba. You didn't say which mustard you grow in your garden so I can't say if it might be the same.

Many years ago I had a necklace that supposedly contained a mustard seed. The seed was large by comparison to seeds I've grown and it was yellow.

neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, June 18, 2006 10:14 AM
Subject: [CHAT] Mustard seed?

The scripture at church this morning was the parable of the mustard
seed. The point is well made, but I've often wondered just what was
considered mustard in the Middle East 2000 years ago.  It certainly
doesn't sound like the mustard I grow in my garden, or the wild
mustard that grows around here.  Any ideas as to what it was?