To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, June 18, 2006 4:02 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Sizzling Afternoon!

In a message dated 6/18/2006 3:24:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
sue.nyc@att.net writes:

Wow it's toasty here in NYC...95 degrees so far. I just got back inside from
watering and checking the garden and I am wiped! There is a "Air Stagnation
Advisory" out...basically it means a smog alert.. People like me (I have
Asthma) are supposed to stay indoors, but I couldn't stay away from my
plants! Everything looks so happy! I have a Jalapeno almost ready to pick,
and the rest of the peppers, cukes and tomatoes are blooming like mad. I
replaced the trailing petunia that got murdered by the mystery hedge butcher
and it's doing great.
The best part is I have nice fat bees and ladybugs everywhere. A few of my
bell pepper plants have some tiny
holes, but I imagine that's to be expected. I have a Pyethrin spray, which I
avoid using as much as possible, and a homemade spray of Palmolive dish
soap, water, and some rubbing alcohol. I'd rather let the ladybugs do the
job though! My hubby to be brought home some Cayenne pepper plants so we
added those to the group. He can't wait to make his own hot sauces and
chili..he's a hot pepper lover.
My rose bush is even doing well. Right after we planted it we got a week of
cool heavy rains, and it looked really sad..it was literally a stick in the
mud. Now it's got leaves bursting out everywhere. My herbs are growing like
crazy too. I have Oregano, Dill, Chamomile, and Lavender. Below is a link to
our pepper pic-hubby to be is so excited..he's never grown veggies before.
Looks we have yet another convert! :-)

First Jalapeno!
http://home.att.net/~sue.nyc/pepper1.jpg

Sue (Zone 6b/NY)

I'll say it is hot.. Compressor on AC went Friday nite :(

Holli
LI,NY