RE: Hydrangia "Nikko Blue"

Well, from what I'm picking up on the web, the rusty nail thing for blue
blossoms is a myth.  Here is what one web site said:
"Someone said that if you put rusty nails in the hole before planting a blue
hydrangea it would make it more blue. Is this true?
No. The rusty nails will add more iron, which is fine if the leaves of the
hydrangea are turning yellow. An iron chelate will do just as well to solve
the problem. However, the blue color of the flowers is due to acidic soil
reacting to aluminum compounds that are always present. If you want pink
blossoms, you need alkaline soil that will block the aluminum compounds from
being taken in by the plant."  http://www.urimga.org/perennials.html

But it is a popular myth.  I found as many sites that said that it does work
and one that said they need iron to bloom blue in one paragraph and in
another paragraph said to use aluminum sulfate :

"Hydrangea
Gail from the USA asks: What do I use to fertilize my blue hydrangea bushes?
They start out blue but are fading to soft pink and yellow flowers. Also, is
it wise to tie them to support the weight on the bush? Any and all help will
be appreciated.
Peter from the USA replies: Blue hydrangea need iron to produce blue
flowers. Try putting some large iron nails in the ground around the base if
you cannot find the suitable 'Blue Hydrangea' fertilizer."

As opposed to:

"To make them blue, buy aluminum sulphate in your gardening store. The
directions for mixing with water are on the package but it's 1tb per gal.
Water the plant once a week starting in the spring.

Thanks Peter - Ed."  http://www.yourgarden.com/qa/eng/bod_qa11_uk.htm  from
the same site!

The American Hydrangea Society recommends this site by one of their members,
Judith King:  http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/colorchange.html  which
gives detailed instructions on how to get blue into hydrangea blooms.  I
would tend to trust this source the most.

Blessings,
Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)