Re: Hydrangia "Nikko Blue"

> "To make them blue, buy aluminum sulphate in your gardening store. The
> directions for mixing with water are on the package but it's 1tb per gal.
> Water the plant once a week starting in the spring.

And personally, I would only use sulfur unless you need immediate
acidification.  Aluminum sulfate can harm the roots of plants because
it hydrolyzes with water to form sulfuric acid.  Needless to say, you
have to be careful about breathing in the dust when using it -- sulfuric
acid in the lungs isn't a good thing.  :)

The only time it would be appropriate (in my opinion) is if your plant
is chlorotic; alkaline soils prevent the uptake of micronutrients like
iron that correct chlorosis, so you wouldn't have time to wait for sulfur
to break down in the soil.