From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Christopher P. Lindsey
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2006 9:16 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Hydrangia "Nikko Blue"

> some only flower on old wood and here that means never... (my
> varigated one is like that).

Hopefully my variegated sport of 'Sadie Ray' will flower on new wood like
its parent.  Keep your fingers crossed!

> I bought a climbing one last fall and it just started blooming now.
> (sorry don't remember which one right
> now)

Hydrangra anomola ssp. petiolaris?  Or is it Schizophragma hydrangeoides
instead?  I have the latter (cultivar 'Moonlight') and love the foliage;
it's about 20' up into my oak tree now and looks fantastic.

Generally speaking, climbing Hydrangea stick out about 3' from whatever
surface they're climbing on, whereas Schizophragma tends to be flush against
the climbing surface.

Chris