Re: Schipp Laurel??

Sheep Laurel  (Kalmia angustifolia)?  This has long, narrow leaves
and fits the description otherwise, except that in this area it
only grows to about three or four feet.  I've never seen one 6
feet in height.  The pink or rose-colored flowers are like those
of Mountain Laurel (Kalmia latifolia), but are clustered along
the side of the stem instead of in terminal clusters.  It's a
pretty shrub, but in this area at least, small.  It's probably
called "Sheep" Laurel because it is supposedly poisonous
to sheep, and if they eat it that could be why it is usually
under three feet.  Just a guess.

In a message dated 06/25/2006 8:13:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,