Re: Hydrangia "Nikko Blue"

It's always been my understanding that it is a slow grower and may take years b4 blooming.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 3:29 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Hydrangia "Nikko Blue"

I have one, sold as H. anomola ssp. petiolaris, which has been
growing in my shade garden for at least 4 years and has never
bloomed. Looks very healthy. Any ideas?

Cathy, west central IL, z5b

I bought a climbing one last fall and it just started blooming now.
(sorry don't remember which one right
now)
Hydrangra anomola ssp. petiolaris?  Or is it Schizophragma
hydrangeoides
instead?  I have the latter (cultivar 'Moonlight') and love the
foliage;
it's about 20' up into my oak tree now and looks fantastic.

Generally speaking, climbing Hydrangea stick out about 3' from
whatever
surface they're climbing on, whereas Schizophragma tends to be
flush against
the climbing surface.

Chris