To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 5:48 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] revelation - geraniums

How much did you pay for your small geraniums? I have not ordered from
Plant Delights yet...but I had printed out the photo and put with my
bills to buy on my next pay period. I'll take a picture of my small
little garden and send it to you. Sometimes..you just come up with a
really nice combination...without even giving it much thought! I love it
when that happens.

Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net> wrote:
Jesse, I'd love to see pics of the small garden you described. I just
checked PDN's geranium, Ouch! $12.00! I put in 31 small (4 inch that I
moved up to quart 6 wks b4 planting) ones. They are small, but this plant
thickens up in a few years. This plant has the Award of Garden Merit from
RHS. I like the habit of var. striatum better than the regular Geranium
sanguineum because it is shorter. It doesn't splay open as much. You can
shear it back as the flowering slows down and it will put out more, but I've
found that even without the shearing it will throw sporadic flowers
throughout the season. The fall color is a lovely maroon.
Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jesse Bell"
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 1:24 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] revelation

Kitty, I love the photos as well...and I really like your walkway. Is
that landscape timber that you used? And I am ordering some of that
Bloody Cranesbill from Plant Delights this year. I was so pleased with
my other perennial geranium that I decided to expand this year.

I found a really pretty, small garden, design that just sort of
"happened" when Pam gave me a perennial hibiscus last year. I had a
small circle garden that was rather "blah" and I planted it there. I had
no idea what color the flowers would be (lavender). This year it bloomed
and it goes just GREAT with the plants already in there...Purple
Coneflower and dark purple Cosmos that reseeded from last year. I just
love it.

Kitty wrote:
Thanks Donna. I don't concentrate on design, I just grow what I want and
try to make it fit in. But it is not done without any thought to
placement.
I have developed beds with pleasing curves but also with some straight
lines
where apropriate. And I do think about what plant works best where when
installing.

The tenders bed has to be done every year so this year I made an effort to
design a permanent repeating edging so that the front gardens have a more
formal appearance. I have one swath of Russian Stonecrop around a tree,
and
I just planted most of the rest of the edges with Lancaster Geraniums aka
the striatum variety of Bloody Cranesbill. I know they are pretty common,
but I have always liked them and they are a real workhorse plant looking
good during the whole growing season with a changing appearance.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: "Donna"
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 6:34 AM

Thanks for hanging in there and getting them posted.

Your place looks great! Nice designs as everything
looks like it fits in naturally.

Donna

--- Kitty wrote:

It's back in business.
Here are some photos from my roof. Can't see much
of anything in backyard;
almost all of this is the south and east sides.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kmrsy/album?.dir=/772cre2&.src=ph

Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 10:18 PM

> Yahoo will get it's act together again. they did
the
> same thing a few days ago.
>
> One of my other groups is starting the yearly road
> rally race and we were having a 23 min delay in
> getting messages to just post to the site, longer
> actually get to your inbox. sigh.
>
> Donna
> who thinks they have server problems, cause the
backup
> came back in the wrong time order...
>

> --- Kitty wrote:
>
>> Well darn. I spent all that time getting them
>> resized, uploaded, edited and
>> now there seems to be a problem with yahoo. I'll
>> try to post later or
>> tomorrow.
>> Kitty
>> neIN, Zone 5
>> ----- Original Message ----- >> From: "Bonnie & Bill Morgan"
>>

>> >I look forward to your photos, Kitty!
>> > Blessings,
>> > Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)

the
>> whole weekend to myself.
>> > stuck two full boxes of shrub and a tree
cuttings,
>> mostly using Clonex but
>> > also tried some gel containers. Cut out
deadwood
>> and overgrowth and
>> > bundled
>> > for pickup. Lots of other odds and ends too,
but
>> for each thing I
>> > scratched
>> > off my list, I added another. Still, feels
good.

>> > When I got on the roof to clean the gutters, I
was
>> surprised at how easy
>> > it
>> > was getting up there. Last year it seemed
>> difficult and I remember
>> > worrying
>> > that the older I get the more difficult it is
and
>> how much longer would I
>> > be
>> > able to do it. Also the last few years I
haven't
>> been able to do marathon
>> > gardening (long hours) as I did when younger.
>> It's a bear getting old.
>> > But
>> > I put in 10 hr days yesterday and today and the
>> roof climb was a breeze.
>> > The difference is that I lost some weight. I
knew
>> I was carrying excess
>> > baggage but didn't believe it pulled me down
that
>> much. I'm still
>> > overweight but not by as much and it is amazing
>> the difference it makes.
>> >
>> > I took some pics while up on the roof, maybe
I'll