Callicarpa resurrection, etc

I rejoice today. My American beautyberry (Callicarpa americanus) has
finally broken dormancy - on the 29th of June! I had given it up for
dead, even though, when I scratched the bark, I saw green underneath.
I'd dug up another rose infected with rose rosette, and decided to
remove the "dead" beautyberry, when I saw leaf-break. I knew it was
slow to break dormancy, but this must be a record of some sort.
Anyone have an idea as to what is causing my river birch to drop its
leaves? About one third have turned yellow and dropped.

Cathy, west central IL, z5b