RE: weeds

My volunteers also include California poppies, that I let stay in the
middle of the lawn since they are few and so beautiful, verbena bonariensis
(my climate is wetter than yours, I think), gold cosmos, Dame's rocket,
iron weed (gets out of hand if I don't curb it), violets (I pull many of
these but let a large patch work as a ground cover in the shady back),
yellow four o'clocks, celosia, Verbascum thapus (just a few), Rudbeckia
hirta, solidago, and a daisy-like flower that has really taken over and
must be pulled this weekend.  (This flower has small white rays and heavily
toothed leaves unlike the more oval of the oye-eye and shasta.)