Re: weeds

We have trouble with a number of well-known and loved plants due to the
heat days but there are some alternatives.  I've always loved lilacs.
Here, they will grow but not well.  They stress in the summer and get
bores.  But, now there are hybrids that do very well...Blue Skies and Miss
Kim.  They grow more slowly but are healthy.  I had to give up on white
birch...the most you can get out of one is around 10 years...so I switched
to river birch, a native with beautiful bark but more tans and browns.  We
can also grow tulips but more as biennials and annuals...again, due to
heat.  The best luck I had with them was a batch of red, don't know the
variety, that I brought from D.C. when we first moved here.  I kept them
for almost a year in the refrigerator before planting.  Then, I planted
around two inches deeper than recommended on the package.  Those beauties
lasted for five years.

My parents, originally from PA, lived for twenty years in Cape Coral after
he retired from the Air Force.  I was always amazed at what would grow
there...my Dad had a hedge of poinsettias, sea grape, bananas, to name a
few.

East