ants and mulch

Geesh- it is always something!

I bought some mulch awhile back- bagged kind that I always have used for
years. When I opened to spread around today, I found it has a zillion
ants in it! Just those small annoying ones, but now what do I do? I
didn't realize it at first since they obviously where at the bottom half
of the bag....Now I have ants everywhere! Guessing I will have to spray
for them, since this bed happens to be next to the house...

But what am I going to do with 15 bags of ant mulch? How much damage
will they do to plants if I use only on the beds far from the house?
Should I spray them.. gosh, I hate using chemicals and actually have to
go to the store to buy some ant spray.

It hasn't been a good wildlife gardening day... had a stand off with a
snake earlier....dang thing was going to bite me.. so next time I see
it, it is a gonner... passive snakes are allowed to live here, others
are not!

Donna