The First Zucchini

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: The First Zucchini
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 08:47:36 -0700

It's happened, I picked the first zucchini of the year last Sunday
night. Actually I picked about four of them, you know how it is with
zucchini, it's easy to have too many, but at this time of year I'm
catching them at about four inches long. I brought them in and showed
them to husband, who said "Oh no, not already". Some people have no
sense of grand occasions. :-)
We spent the weekend in the mountains with our horses so I didn't get
any gardening done. It was a good time up there though. We are now
official volunteers with the Forest Service, so we rode into the
wilderness and did trail maintenance at a spot where a flash flood had
wiped out a trail. Not being terribly experienced about this I admit to
apprehension as our horses ambled along a six inch wide trail, composed
mainly of big shifty rocks, on the side of a mountain. "Don't worry" my
sister says "if the horse goes over just jump off the other side".
Great comfort. But actually it all went fine, we saw some wonderful
scenery and met some nice people, and the horses were unfazed by it all.

Our experiment with the hot wire barrier has gotten nowhere. Well, not
really true...I was hoping for bodies (bloodthirsty I know) but that
hasn't happened. The critters are no longer eating the lettuce where the
hot wire is, but if we are zapping anything it has not proved lethal. So
I don't know if they're not interested because what's in there is too
old, are avoiding it because they don't like the looks, or have gotten
shocked and are avoiding it. There is one rabbit still digging into the
enclosure around the soybeans but I am not noticing any new plant
damage, so I don't know what he's up to. I guess the hot wire has done
well enough that it's worth putting up early next year to protect new
I've picked about 5 pounds of snow peas so far and need to put some in
the freezer tonight. I'm pleased considering the miserable start they
had. Everything else is just growing along. The front yard looks pretty
weedy but I think tonight I can spend an hour on it, better than
nothing. At least that's my plan if it isn't too windy, right now it's
blowing about 30mph.