Re: Fundy mulch

Red mulch... bleck! Make's your yard look like a Wal-Mart parking lot. I think they dye it so you can't tell what you're buying. If you discount the color, it looks like old pallets run through a chipper. Not bark, mind you, but chewed up 1X4s and 2X4s--maybe even with bits of nails and wire still in them [don't know about that].

On Jun 7, 2007, at 7:31 PM, Kitty wrote:

Sounds like really good stuff Auralie. I hate the red stuff too, use pine bark myself. I tried cocoa hulls once, pricey and not that pleased with it. Also, pets can die if they eat it. The Fundy mulch sound powerfully good and natural.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2007 5:19 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Fundy mulch

We went shopping for mulch for the replanted front bed yesterday,
and for salt hay for the garden.  I loathe the red stuff that is so
popular around here, but thought maybe cocoa hulls would work.
Instead we found something I had never seen before - Fundy mulch
from Maine.  Made of old wood chips and kelp, it looks just like
good black earth, and should add to the soil in due course.  It is
certified for use in organic gardens.  A bit pricey, but seemed to
me to be well worth it.  Maybe everyone already knows about
this - I don't usually buy mulch, but didn't have any good compost
this year - but I was delighted to find it.
Auralie

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W