Re: Rhododendron question

I don't grow them, but is it possible the deer ate all the buds?

Donna

----- Original Message ----
From: Maria <marolsh@verizon.net>
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Thursday, June 7, 2007 6:43:51 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Rhododendron question

Hello all,

I've been lurking as usual, and Daryl's comment on a "fluke of the
weather" prompted a question. There are virtually no buds on the native
Rhododendron maximum here, and I didn't see any blooming mountain
laurel either. I've noticed that some years are much better than
others, but the almost total absence of blooms is strange to me. Any
ideas why they didn't set buds?

  The local throngs of deer have taken to eating the rhodies, though
they don't seem to relish them much. At around 30 inches above the
ground, almost half of the leaves have been devoured, leaving the stems
in a spiky spiral arrangement. Very ugly!

Maria in NE PA