Re: The First Zucchini; first tomato

Can't have too many peppers, Cyndi. When I told Ms Fatma that we have 10 poblanos nearing maturity, she asked "What are we going to do with all of them?" I said "I'm going to roast them, peel them, stuff them with a quinoa-based mixture, and eat them."

On Jun 8, 2007, at 5:53 PM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:

I have grown Corno di Toro, they are very nice peppers and very
productive. I also like Giant Marconi, very similar to Corno di Toro but
it's a hybrid and it's huge. Maybe a tad less sweet but it's hard to
say. Corno di Toro, with its curved shape, is more attractive.
I have about 10 Giant Marconi growing this year, I am hoping to can or
freeze a lot more roasted marinated peppers this summer. We have been
using last year's in our salads and they're so good. In all I think I
have over 50 pepper plants. So far so good on those but it's early days
yet, with luck I will be whining about too many peppers later this
summer.

Cyndi

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2007 2:37 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] The First Zucchini; first tomato

Know what you mean about water bills. We have a well, so ours turns up
on the electric bill--which is not as great an increase with usage, but
doubly worrisome in times of drought.

We've harvested a few jalapenos so far and one "Corno di Toro", which we picked green for a salad. You wouldn't believe how sweet it is even when
it's green. Can't imagine what it'll be like when it turns red.
You should try this one, Pam. It's touted as the largest non-bell sweet
pepper. Its was introduced by Seeds of Change a few years ago and is
really a keeper. This year we have only one plant, but I want to be sure
to plant a companion this fall.