Re: Clematis mystery

"[T]here are six or seven Clematis species in the Southeast with upright
non-viny stems and simple leaves."
(One recently found in TN was C. fremontii, which is also found in
Missouri, Kansas, and Nebraska.  This plant was featured because all other
Clematis found in TN had vines.  The article mentions that other native
Clementis are either climbing or trailing vines with compound leaves.
Could yours be a trailing species? What type of leaf does it have?)
Newsletter of the Tennessee Native Plant Society, June 2007.

http://www.gardenvines.com/catalog/clematis-nonvining-clematis-c-21_29.html?
os