To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2007 2:03 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] lungwort powdery mildew

I use copper soap to prevent powdery mildew on my phlox and zinnias here, if
it works in our heat, surely it will work for you?  Just be sure to spray
before the temps get to 85 degrees.  If it's hotter than that, the leaves
will burn.

Looked around a bit and found this from Tony Avent: "Many of the cultivars
will tend to get some powdery mildew on their foliage during the summer.
While this is unsightly, it seems to cause little problems for the plants.
It appears that hybrids with P. longifolia seem to be resistant to this
problem. "
And this from MOBOT "Powdery mildew can be a significant problem on some
lungworts, particularly if soils are allowed to dry in summer. 'Baby Blue'
reportedly has good resistance to powdery mildew."

Perhaps I have accidentally selected resistant varieties except for this
one. Also, this one is planted in a soil that is sandier than the rest of my garden. It has been so hot and dry of late - hence the powdery mildew.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5