Re: overwhelmed was: ants, now geothermal

We have a "Water Furnace". Ours is a closed loop system going into
the farm pond next to the house. Other options could be horizontal or
vertical earth loops. There are also open loop systems, using ground
water, when good quality well water is available at a reasonable
pumping depth, along with a good water discharge system (ditch, field
tile, pond, or stream). Our closed loop is filled with a water-
antifreeze solution which is continually circulated through. If we
need cooling the solution's heat is dissipated as it flows through
the pond. When we need heat, it is likewise absorbed from the pond.
Of course we have supplemental heat and air conditioning, but these
do not have to use as much energy because we borrow so much from the
earth. In essence our heating and cooling systems receive a "boost".
The bottom line: for our house of 3000+ square feet, we pay about
$80.00 per month for heat or air conditioning. Yes, we love it, and
should we move, we would definitely want a home that is geothermal.
It is more expensive than regular systems, but pays for itself in
lower heating and cooling costs and should last 20 - 30 years. We
have forced air heating and cooling with it. Hope this helps.

Cathy, west central IL, z5b