Re: Crab watch

OH yesssss...our Tom (his name is Mr. Turkey - what else?) was hatched
via incubator and has been handled his whole life. He follows me
everywhere, gobbles on call - every single time, thinks he owns the
place, and sits on the back porch and stares at me while I'm cooking
dinner, hoping that I will come out and feed him something good. When we
were out shearing our llamas last Saturday, he had to be right in the
middle of ALL OF IT. I don't think he would get in the car but he lets
me hold him and carry him around. He's HEAVY though. He is black and
white - a "Royal Palm" turkey. Beautiful. I'll try to send some pics
ya'lls way.

  Jesse--tell me about your baby turkeys. I raised several crops in the
mid-80s and really got to be quite fond of them. I had a big, old, very
tame male--named Tom [what else]--that I used to take to kindergarten
classes at the local schools so the tots could get up close and touch
him. He would gobble on command, which delighted the kids, of course,
and occasionally terrified the teachers. Tom, who weighed almost 30
pounds, loved to ride in my truck. It was never a problem to get him
into the passenger's seat. I just had to open the door and he would
half-fly, half-scramble into the seat. The best part was driving down
the freeway with Tom as copilot. Talk about double takes!