Re: Re: critters

I'm sorry, Jesse. I know you were looking forward to them. There always seems to be a breach in the fence just where you can't see it. I've lost chicks that way, too.

Do your turkeys not attack hawks? I had a couple of rescue turkeys once and the one I didn't re-home was a real watchdog. If a hawk came around he'd spot it before the rooster did, and if it came near, he'd go after it. Since he was huge, the hawks gave way.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 2:04 PM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Re: critters

No, the mother is not tame at all. She had her nest up high where we
couldn't see them and didn't know when they hatched. I just discovered
the only two that survived (I'm sure she had more than 2) but out where
we live, if I don't put them up, they'll be eaten by hawks. So I put
them in a place that I thought was safe, but they crawled out underneath
and ended up on the side with three hens that just ran them ragged all
day long. I'm sure they didn't eat. When I got them they were just
exhausted and tired. I tried to give them some fluids and they drank a
little bit, but they were just worn out. If they get that stressed, they
usually don't make it.