Re: This is summer?/Fire

Yes the fire is scary. It is about 100 miles from here but I can see the cloudiness the smoke is causing when I look to the east. So far the winds are not blowing any of the smokiness in our direction, thank goodness. Summer here so far has been gorgeous, hot but not too hot, and many days with a light breeze. I have a good well for my garden, but we had very little rain over the winter, hence the fire --
--Barb, Grass Valley CA
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2007 3:48 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] This is summer?/Fire

Summer is here too. Very scary fires in South Lake Tahoe area- lots of houses already burned and the fire is in no way under control. Lots of ash falling in the lake (not good!) and evacuations. I am very far from there, but allergies have been horrible today- so wonder if the smoke particulate is adding to that. Hope they get some calm cool weather soon to help them out. This one looks bad.
Theresa

Bonnie Holmes wrote:
Summer is here in ETN. It is actually more like August than June...hot and
very dry...worst drought in 114 years.  Also, thought this
interesting...latest deep freeze in April in 114 years.  Usually, we use
April 15 as the last frost.

This weekend, the Friends of the UT Trial Gardens had their annual "Blooms Day". I attended on Saturday to get in some of the lectures and on Sunday to volunteer some hours. About the fence, what about things with thorns...cactus or berries? Even roses? The Trial Gardens has a "Rattlesnake plant" that has a nasty thorn
but very interesting color and structure.