To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, June 07, 2008 4:41 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Weather, etc.

After a couple of weeks of rather cool weather - yesterday it did not
get out of the 60s - today it is 92.  Everything is cooking - just looking
totally wilted.  We need rain so badly, and now this.

However, despite the droughty and cool spring, the blooms have been
spectacular.  Everyone's Rhododendrons are blooming more heavily
than I have ever seen them before.  My Kousa dogwood has massive
blooms.  The peonies are astonishing - or were until this heat hit them.
We were on the Taconic Parkway this afternoon, and the roadside is
just blanketed with white multiflora roses.  I know they are considered
a noxious weed and an invasive alien - though when we first moved out
here nearly half a century ago they were sold as ideal hedging.  I have
never seen them bloom as heavily as they are right now - and fragrant!
I still wish we had had a gentler introduction to the heat.  I need to go
out and water, but just can't make myself go out until it cools down a
bit - if it does.
Auralie

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.