Re: Weather/rhodies

Jim, I'm looking for some rhodies and azealeas do they have an online
presence?

----- Original Message ----
From: james singer
<islandjim1@comcast.net>
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Saturday, June 7, 2008
5:38:33 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Weather/rhodies

Sass [my sister] was going
through Greer's catalog earlier today
highlighting rhododendron cultivars
she wants to consider when we go
down there later this month. Many of them
here are still blooming--
some just now coming into bloom.

Beautiful day
today--warm, sunny. Almost got my gooseberry raised bed
finished, but ran
out of topsoil, so back to Lowe's in the AM.

On Jun 7, 2008, at 4:28 PM,
Kitty wrote:

> Auralie, it is so good to hear you talking about beautiful
blooms
> after all you've been through.  I do feel your pain about the
heat,
> too.  We got the same temps, but immediately after lots of rain, so
> it's been steaming right out of the soil; we're dripping w
> humidity.
And I hear more rain is on the way.

> Our rhodies are all done, but the
roses around here too are

Original Message ----- From: <Aplfgcnys@aol.com>

Sent: Saturday, June 07, 2008 4:41 PM
> Subject: [CHAT] Weather, etc.

After a couple of weeks of rather cool weather - yesterday it did not
>> get
out of the 60s - today it is 92.  Everything is cooking - just
>> looking

totally wilted.  We need rain so badly, and now this.

>> However, despite
the droughty and cool spring, the blooms have been
>> spectacular.  Everyone's
Rhododendrons are blooming more heavily
>> than I have ever seen them before.
My Kousa dogwood has massive
>> blooms.  The peonies are astonishing - or were
until this heat hit
>> them.
>> We were on the Taconic Parkway this
afternoon, and the roadside is
>> just blanketed with white multiflora roses.
I know they are
>> considered
>> a noxious weed and an invasive alien -
though when we first moved out
>> here nearly half a century ago they were
sold as ideal hedging.  I
>> have
>> never seen them bloom as heavily as
they are right now - and